Depression mey be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable,or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.
Ture clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger or frustration interfere with everyday life for weeks or longer. Depressive disorder is a syndrome that reflects a sad mood exceding normmal sadness or grief. More specifically, the sadness or depression is characterised by greater intensity and duration and more severe symptoms and functional disabilities than is normal.
What causes depression?
The exact cause of depresion is not known. Many researchers believe it is caused by chemical changes in the brain. This may be due to the problem in your genes, or triggered by certain stressful events. Mostly, it is a combination of both.
Some types of depression run in families. But it may also occur even if you do not have a family history of illness.
Anyone can develop depression, even kids.
The following may play a role in causing depression:
• Alcohol or drug abuse
• Certain medical conditions, including underactive thyroid, cancer or long term pain
• Certain medications such as steroids
• Sleeping problems
• Stressful life events, such as
Breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend
Failing a class
Death or illness or someone close to you
Childhood abuse or neglect
Not everyone who is depressed may experience each and every symtoms. Some experience few and some many. People who suffer depression mostly see everything in a negative way. Most prominent symtoms of depression are mentioned here:
• Persistently sad, anxious,angry,empty mood
• Feelins of hopelessness
• Feelins of worthlessness
• Loss of interest or pleasure
• Social isolation
• Insomnia or oversleeping
• Loss of appetite
• Decreased energy
• Crying spells
• Thoughts of death or suicide
• Difficulty in concentrating and making decisions
• Pysical symptoms that do not respond to treatment
In general, treatments for depression include:
• Medications called anti-depressants
• Talk therapy, called psychotherapy
If you hsve milld depression, you may only need one of these treatments. People with more severe depression may nedd more the treatments. It may take time to feel better, but one can notice day to day improvements.
Drugs used to treat depression are called antidepressants. They may include zoloft, prozac, paroxetine etc.
Psychotherapy is considered to be most beneficail for depression pateints. The grievances of the pateints are heard and counselled. Talk therapy helps you to learn dealing with your thoughts and emotions. Therapists help the pateints to learn how to obtain more satisfaction and rewards through their own actions.
Types of talk therapy include:
• Cognitive behavioral therapy teaches you how to fight off negative thoughts. You will learn how to become more aware of your symptoms and how to spot things that make your depression worse. You'll also be taught problem-solving skills.
• Psychotherapy can help you understand the issues that may be behind your thoughts and feelings.
• Joining a support group of people who are sharing problems like yours can also help.
Modern lifestyle has contributed a great way to depression. A change in lifestyle will definitely curb depression.